The Uganda Network of Young People Living with HIV/AIDS (UNYPA) is a direct member of the National Forum of People Living with HIV/AIDS (NAFOPHANU) with a membership of 50,000 young people living with HIV/AIDS in the country so far.
UNYPA advocates improving the quality of life of young people living with HIV in Uganda and as a network. UNYPA is driven by the needs of young people living with HIV and implements an evidence informed national programme and advocacy for YPLHIV to lead healthy and productive lives.
The elements of UNYPA’s national programme and advocacy include promoting universal access to HIV prevention, treatment, care, and support; fighting stigma and discrimination against young people living with HIV; and, promoting the greater involvement of young people living with HIV in the national HIV response. UNYPA has a total of 12 full time staff and over 50 Young Positive Living Ambassadors as volunteers in charge of districts. UNYPA is mandated to have three forums of Young Positives one of 10 – 18,19- 24 and 25-30 due to their different challenges in life though emphasis is being given to the 10- 24.
It was likely that Uganda’s hailed good systems; practices and successes in combating HIV/AIDS epidemic were likely to be compromised by the escalating numbers of young positives with out support to positive living. This could also lead to irresponsible sexual behavior and contributes to a significant proportion HIV infection as well as other sexually transmitted infections.
Our mission is to create an enabling Environment for all young people living and affected by HIV/AIDS to meaningfully participate equally in development of programmes that improve their livelihood.
“Positive and productive lives for all young people living and affected by HIV and AIDS”
Our Core Values
UNYPA is committed to practicing what it teaches at both the team and individual levels. Consequently, we shall uphold the following values:
- Team work
- Collective responsibility
Aims and Objectives of UNYPA
- To provide leadership and co-ordinate the greater and meaningful involvement and participation of young people living with HIV in Uganda in the national, regional and global HIV and AIDS response
- To lead the process of forming a powerful and united young people living with HIV (YPLHIV) movement that strives to ensure that all voices of YPLHIV are heard, guaranteeing universal access and the meaningful involvement and quality of life of YPLHIV
- To enter into strategic alliances to meet the ever growing needs and challenges of YPLHIV in response in Uganda.
- To harmonies the co-ordination and engagement of YPLHIV in the national HIV response in order to continue to play an effective and efficient role in guaranteeing the meaningful involvement and quality of life of YPLHIV.
- To enter into understanding and bring on board YPLHIV led organizations and support groups as members of UNYPA.
- To strength the member YPLHIV led organizations and support groups by implementing programmes focused on organizational development, joint resource mobilization and capacity building to enable them effectively and efficiently implement projects/intervention and deliver quality services to YPLHIV in all districts of Uganda.